Gulf Coast Disaster News
|October 3, 2013, 9:24 am|
Originally posted by Wall Street Journal - Margaret Cronin Fisk and Jef Feeley - October 3, 2013
BP persuaded an appeals court to order a re-examination of key terms of the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil-spill settlement that the company said could have cost it billions of dollars in improper payouts.
BP said the program’s administrator, Patrick Juneau, was approving millions of dollars in “fictitious” payments to businesses for economic losses based on what BP called a flawed interpretation of the agreement reached with spill victims’ lawyers in 2012.
|August 13, 2013, 2:37 pm|
Originally posted by Brian Young - Huffington Post - August 12, 2013
Shortly after an explosion on British Petroleum's Deepwater Horizon oil rig killed 11 people and spilled an estimated 210 million gallons of oil off the coast of Louisiana, the company sprung into action to protect what matters -- its public image. BP spent more than $93 million on newspaper and TV ads in the weeks immediately following the disaster, and they've since spent hundreds of millions of dollars on several rounds of media campaigns to convince the public that they care. When all is said and done, BP will likely be on the hook for tens of billions of costs related to the spill. So why the PR campaign? Their actions behind the scenes give us a hint.
|July 26, 2013, 9:54 am|
Originally posted by Clifford Krauss - New York Times - July 26, 2013
HOUSTON — Halliburton has agreed to plead guilty to destruction of critical evidence after the Gulf of Mexico oil spill in 2010, the Justice Department announced on Thursday.
The oil services company said it would pay the maximum allowable fine of $200,000 and will be subject to three years of probation. It will also continue its cooperation in the government’s criminal investigation. Separately, Halliburton made a voluntary contribution of $55 million to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.
|July 19, 2013, 11:22 am|
Originally posted by Harry Weber - Houston Chronicle - July 19, 2013
In a blistering rebuke of BP’s criticism of the administrator who is processing claims from last year’s multibillion dollar Gulf oil spill civil settlement, a federal judge Friday scolded the company for its public attacks and quickly rejected its request to halt payments to victims of the disaster.
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier in New Orleans said BP’s personal attacks on claims administrator Patrick Juneau have been “offensive,” and he especially noted that he didn’t care for comments the chief executive of the company, Bob Dudley, made on CNBC on Thursday. Dudley said the settlement had been “hijacked” by the administrator’s office.
|July 19, 2013, 10:48 am|
Originally posted by Michael Kunzelman (AP) - Houston Chronicle - July 19, 2013
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A federal judge has rejected BP's request to temporarily halt all settlement payments to Gulf Coast businesses and residents who claim they lost money after the company's 2010 oil spill.
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier ruled Friday after BP attorneys argued that payments should be suspended while former FBI Director Louis Freeh investigates alleged misconduct by a lawyer who helped administer the multibillion-dollar settlement program.
|June 10, 2013, 9:56 am|
Originally posted by Verna Gates - Reuters - June 5th, 2013
(Reuters) - Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange said the $500 million paid by BP Plc in compensation in the state for the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill was just the "tip of the iceberg" and called for more claims, believing Alabama had not received a fair share of the $3 billion in total payouts so far.
|May 17, 2013, 3:44 pm|
Originally posted by Harry Weber - Houston Chronicle - May 17, 2013
Texas on Friday joined other Gulf Coast states suing BP for environmental damage caused by the 2010 oil spill.
Texas’ suit seeks natural resources damages, economic damages and civil penalties. Louisiana and Alabama sued initially, while Florida and Mississippi sued last month around the three-year anniversary of the disaster.
|May 1, 2013, 1:43 pm|
Originally posted by Bruce Thompson - American Thinker - April 27, 2013
Just over three years after the explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon, Halliburton has finally decided to face the music and increase its reserves for payment of civil damages by $1 billion.
Things did not go well for them in the seven weeks of testimony just concluded in federal court in New Orleans. They were caught hiding samples of the exact cement mixture that failed, which they had been ordered by the court to preserve. They had to admit that the cement formulation used "had a low probability of success."
|May 1, 2013, 11:04 am|
Originally posted by Matt Smith - CNN - April 29, 2013
Yscloskey, Louisiana (CNN) -- On his dock along the banks of Bayou Yscloskey, Darren Stander makes the pelicans dance.
More than a dozen of the birds have landed or hopped onto the dock, where Stander takes in crabs and oysters from the fishermen who work the bayou and Lake Borgne at its mouth. The pelicans rock back and forth, beaks rising and falling, as he waves a bait fish over their heads.
|March 19, 2013, 11:45 am|
Originally posted by Simone Sebastian - Houston Chronicle - March 19, 2013
NEW ORLEANS — Swiss drilling contractor Transocean knew it had a high-potential safety problem across its company months before the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill because it had suffered four rig deaths in a span of just 92 days, the company’s chief executive officer testified Tuesday.
CEO Steve Newman said at a civil trial over the Gulf disaster in federal court in New Orleans that he sent a memo to staff in fall 2009 that said he was concerned about the increasing number of major incidents. He testified that Transocean needed to work quickly and decisively to fix the problem and “stop the fatalities.”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28